- 40 small cremini or white mushrooms, stems removed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted pepitas (pumpkinseeds), toasted and divided
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 ounces cotija or fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange mushroom caps, stem sides up, in pan; cook 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Turn mushrooms over; cook 5 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Place mushrooms, stem sides down, on paper towels to drain and cool.
- Place 4 tablespoons pepitas, parsley, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a food processor; process until chopped. With processor on, slowly pour oil through food chute; process until well blended.
- Fill each mushroom cap with about 1 teaspoon pesto; top evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons pepitas.