- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pale ale
- 2 pounds fresh littleneck clams in shells (about 18)
- 1 pound mussels in shells, scrubbed and debearded (about 30)
- 6 lemon wedges
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Add shallots, thyme, and garlic; cook until shallots begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add beer, and bring to a simmer. Add clams and mussels; return to a gentle simmer.
- Cover pot with a lid, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until shells open, about 10 minutes. Discard unopened shells. Serve with lemon wedges and a bowl for the shells.