- 1/2 cup uncooked regular grits
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Whisk in grits; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, stirring often, 15 minutes or until tender. Stir in butter until melted; cool to room temperature. Stir in buttermilk and eggs.
- Whisk together flour and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Stir flour mixture into grits mixture until just combined.
- Cook in a preheated, oiled waffle iron until golden (about 1/3 cup batter each).