- 5 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 5/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1.5 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add rice, salt, and saffron; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1 1/2 cups stock; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining stock, 3/4 cup at a time, stirring nearly constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total); reserve 1/3 cup stock at last addition. Remove pan from heat. Stir in reserved 1/3 cup stock, butter, pepper, and cheese. Top with parsley.