- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound (1-inch) diagonally cut trimmed asparagus
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add asparagus; sauté 3 1/2 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add tomatoes; cook for 6 minutes or until tomatoes are tender.
- Combine cheese, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add pasta to boiling water; cook 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and toss pasta immediately with egg mixture. Add tomato mixture, tossing until sauce thickens. Divide pasta equally among 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon basil. Serve immediately.