- 8 ounces uncooked cavatappi pasta
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2/3 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces pecorino Romano cheese, shaved (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; keep warm.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; swirl to coat. Add panko to pan; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring frequently.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add Brussels sprouts to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add onion and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until onion is tender and the Brussels sprouts are lightly browned. Add broth and next 5 ingredients (through pepper). Cover and cook 2 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are crisp-tender. Add Brussels sprouts mixture to pasta; toss well. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts, and panko. Serve immediately.